Saturday, December 17, 2011

Antony (Huehue Scholar)


Antony, his grandmother, Dona Lila, and Antony's little sister outside of their home in San Lorenzo. Antony's mother, who has a severe mental disability, was too embarrassed to be in the picture. When I went over to talk to Antony and his grandmother about the beca that day in June, she was very thankful and kept saying how appreciative they were of the help. They gave me these huge tostadas with black beans, ketchup and mayonnaise. I hadn't had those in a long time. Antony was as quiet as when I left. Extremely shy and still not the best of maintaining eye contact. I think he was surprised and confused that I was back in Guatemala...in San Lorenzo...at his house. His mother recently became very sick and the school, where I worked at and Antony went to prior to graduating, collected money for her stay at a private hospital. I'm still waiting to hear how she is doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment